This article is about how to configure FCoE functionality on Qlogic CNA card-QL8262 installed on a Dell PowerEdge R720 server running ESXi 5.5.
QL8262 is dual port CNA card that supports LAN, iSCSI and FCoE. Configuring Qlogic FCoE card on an ESXi host is a two-step process;
- Install driver on ESXi so that it can detect Qlogic cards.
- Enable FCoE functionality on Qlogic CNA.
- Installing qlogic CNA driver on ESXi:
- There are two driver packages to install for qlogic CNA. Networking Driver(net-qlcnic-x.x.x) and FC/FCoE driver(qlnativefc-x.x.x)
- Download the appropriate drivers from Qlogic Driver download page
- Upload those two VIB files (Vsphere Installation Bundle) to ESXi datastore.
- Enter the Esxi host to Maintenance mode and login to ESXi shell.
- Install those drivers using following commands;
~ # esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/datastore1\(1\)/qlnativefc-126.96.36.199-1OEM.5188.8.131.521820.x86_64.vib Installation Result Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective. Reboot Required: true VIBs Installed: QLogic_bootbank_qlnativefc_184.108.40.206-1OEM.5220.127.116.111820 VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_qlnativefc_18.104.22.168-1vmw.522.214.171.1241820 VIBs Skipped: ~ # ~ # esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/datastore1\(1\)/net-qlcnic-5.5.177-1OEM.5126.96.36.1998611.x86_64.vib Installation Result Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective. Reboot Required: true VIBs Installed: QLogic_bootbank_net-qlcnic_5.5.177-1OEM.5188.8.131.528611 VIBs Removed: VIBs Skipped: ~ #
- Verify if the packages are installed correctly.
~ # esxcli software vib list | grep ql net-qlcnic 5.5.177-1OEM.5184.108.40.2068611 QLogic VMwareCertified 2015-01-30 qlnativefc 220.127.116.11-1OEM.518.104.22.1681820 QLogic VMwareCertified 2015-02-02
- Reboot the ESXi host (while boot-up perform below step-2) and it should detect Qlogic CNA now.
2. Enable FCoE functionality on Qlogic CNA
By default, only LAN functionality is enabled on QL8262. To enable FCoE function, reboot the server and while bootup, press Ctrl+Q to enter “QLogic function configuration” setup menu.
- In the setup window, enable FCoE on CNA adapter by changing “Type” field for function 6 and 7(corresponding to port-1 and port-2 of the adapter) from ‘None’ to ‘FCOE’
- If we need to enable iSCSI, configure function 4 and 5. Refer to ‘Qlogic user Guide for 8xxx series’ for more information.
- Exit, save the config and reboot the host. After reboot, login to Vsphere and there should be two vmhba ports under configuration -> storage Adapters -> 8200 series 10G CNA(FCoE).
Now, these two vmhba’s can login to fabric.