- Quick way to install ESXi on a Dell server is via iDRAC(a management console pre-built with all Dell Poweredge servers).
- Download ESXi hypervisor iso image from vmware download page to your laptop.
- On a Bare-metal Dell server, after power-on, configure IP address of iDRAC via server LCD panel
- Once iDRAC IP is configured, access that IP from an IE browser.
- Ignore the certificate error, if any.
- Default username/password: root/calvin
- Once logged in, to get the console of the server, click ‘Launch’ on the virtual console preview. A pop-up window will let you get access to the console;
- If any problem in getting into virtual console, try to change the plug-in type from ‘Native’ to ‘Java’ in the settings.
- After above modification, if there is any security access problem reported by java, add the iDRAC IP to security exception list;
- Control panel -> Java (32 bit) -> Security tab -> Edit site list -> Add https://idrac_ip
- Once you get the virtual console, click ‘Virtual Media’ and map the downloaded iso image(which is in your laptop) as virtual CD/DVD. Set ‘Next-Boot’ option to this virtual CD/DVD.
- After successful installation of ESXi, configure the management network.
- Using this IP, you can access this ESXi host from vSphere client/vCenter.
This entry was posted in Virtualization
and tagged dell servers
, installing esxi
. Bookmark the permalink